Writers' Guidelines for CICADA ®
CICADA ® is a high-quality literary magazine for teenagers and young adults and is published by Cricket Magazine Group.
CICADA, for readers age 14 and up, publishes original short stories, poems, and first-person essays written for teens and young adults. In some cases, CICADA purchases rights for excerpts from books yet to be published. Each issue also includes several reprints of high-quality selections.
CICADA measures 8 x 10-1/2", contains 48 pages, has a full-color cover, and is perfect bound. Black-and-white illustrations of the highest quality appear throughout the magazine.
Editor-in-Chief: Marianne Carus
Editorial Director: Alice Letvin
Executive Editor: Deborah Vetter
Assistant Managing Editor & Editor of The Slam: Pete Coco
At Director: John Sandford
Published: bimonthly, 6 times a year
Price: $33.95 for 1-year subscription (6 issues)
CICADA is currently closed for submissions due to the large number of accepted manuscripts awaiting publication. When the editors are ready to read new submissions again, an update will be posted on this page. Thank you for your patience.
Fiction: realistic, contemporary, historical fiction, adventure, humor, satire, fantasy, science fiction (Main protagonist should be age 14 or older; stories should have a genuine teen sensibility and be aimed at readers in high school or college.)
Nonfiction: first-person experiences that are relevant and interesting to teenagers
Poetry: serious or humorous; rhymed or free verse
Other: book reviews providing in-depth, thoughtful commentary
Expressions: short essays written by teens about their own experiences
Fiction/articles: up to 5,000 words
Novellas: up to 15,000 words (We run one novella per issue.)
Poems: up to 25 lines
Book reviews: 300 to 500 words
An exact word count should be noted on each manuscript submitted. For poetry, indicate number of lines instead. Word count includes every word, but does not include the title of the manuscript or the author's name.
Fiction and articles: up to 25 ¢ per word
Poems: up to $3.00 per line
Payment upon publication
For art, send tear sheets or photoprints/photocopies. PLEASE DO NOT send original artwork. Be sure that each sample is marked with your name, address, and phone number.
- CICADA would like to reach as many authors and illustrators as possible for original contributions, but our standards are very high, and we will accept only top-quality material.
- PLEASE DO NOT QUERY FIRST.
- CICADA will consider any manuscripts or art samples sent on speculation and accompanied by a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Submissions without a SASE will be discarded.
- Submissions from outside the U.S. should include an International Postal Reply Coupon.
- Response time: Please allow 6 months for manuscripts and 3 months for art samples.
CICADA ® normally purchases the following rights:
1. For stories and poems previously unpublished, rights vary. Payment is made upon publication.
2. For stories and poems previously published, CICADA purchases second North American publication rights. Fees vary, but are generally less than fees for first publication rights. Payment is made upon publication. Same applies to accompanying art.
3. For recurring features, CICADA purchases the material outright. The work becomes the property of CICADA, and it is copyrighted in the name of Carus Publishing Company. A flat fee per feature is usually negotiated. Payment is made upon publication.
4. For commissioned artwork, CICADA purchases all rights plus promotional rights (promotions, advertising, or any other form not offered for sale) subject to the terms outlined below:
(a) Physical art remains the property of the illustrator.
(b) Illustrators may use artwork for self promotion.
Please address all MANUSCRIPT SUBMISSIONS to:
Submissions Editor, CICADA
70 East Lake Street
Chicago, IL 60601
Direct inquiries regarding PERMISSIONS to:
Rights and Permissions Coordinator
30 Grove Street, Suite C
Peterborough, NH 03458
Please address all PORTFOLIO SAMPLES to:
Art Submissions Coordinator
70 East Lake Street
Chicago, IL 60601