LADYBUG ®, a reading and listening magazine for young children ages 3 to 6, is published by the Cricket Magazine Group of Carus Publishing. LADYBUG features original stories and poems written by the world's best children's authors, illustrated in full color by the best children's artists from around the world.
LADYBUG measures 8" x 10", is full color, contains 36 pages plus a 4-page activity pullout, and is staple-bound.
Editor-in-Chief: Marianne Carus
Editorial Director and Editor: Alice Letvin
Assistant Editor: Jenny Gillespie
Managing Art Director: Suzanne Beck
Published: monthly except for combined May/June, July/August, and November/December issues
Price: $33.95 for 1-year subscription (nine issues)
Fiction: read-aloud stories, picture stories, original retellings of folk and fairy tales, multicultural stories. Length: up to 800 words.
Rebuses: focus on concrete nouns. Length: up to 200 words.
Nonfiction: concepts, vocabulary, simple explanations of things in a young child's world. Length: up to 400 words. (Be prepared to send backup materials and photo references""-where applicable""-upon request.)
Poetry: rhythmic, rhyming; serious, humorous, active, from a child's perspective. Length: up to 20 lines.
Other: imaginative activities, games, crafts, songs, and finger games. See back issues for types, formats, and length.
An exact word count should be noted on each manuscript submitted. Word count includes every word, but does not include the title of the manuscript or the author's name.
Stories and articles: 25 ¢ per word; $25 minimum
Poems: $3.00 per line; $25 minimum
Payment upon publication
- By assignment only. Artists should submit review samples of artwork to be kept in our illustrator files. We prefer to see tear sheets or photoprints/photocopies of art.
- If you wish to send an original art portfolio for review, package it carefully, insure the package, and be sure to include return packing materials and postage.
- Author-illustrators may submit a complete manuscript with art samples. The manuscript will be evaluated for quality of concept and text before the art is considered.
- Rates: $500/spread ($250/page)
- We purchase all rights; physical art remains the property of the illustrator and may be used for artist's self-promotion.
- Before attempting to write for LADYBUG, be sure to familiarize yourself with this age group, and read several issues of the magazine.
- In evaluating manuscripts, we look for beauty of language, a sense of joy or wonder, and a genuine child point of view.
- PLEASE DO NOT QUERY FIRST.
- We will consider any manuscripts or art samples sent on speculation and accompanied by a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Submissions without a SASE will be discarded.
- Response time: Please allow 6 months for manuscripts and 3 months for art samples.
- We do not distribute theme lists for upcoming issues.
- Submissions from outside the U.S. should include an International Postal Reply Coupon.
LADYBUG ® normally purchases the following rights:
- For previously unpublished stories and poems, rights vary. Payment is made upon publication.
- For stories and poems previously published, LADYBUG purchases second North American publication rights. Fees vary, but are generally less than fees for first publication rights. Payment is made upon publication. Same applies to accompanying art.
- For recurring features, LADYBUG purchases the material outright. The work becomes the property of LADYBUG and is copyrighted in the name of Carus Publishing Company. A flat fee per feature is usually negotiated. Payment is made upon publication.
- For commissioned artwork, LADYBUG purchases all rights plus promotional rights (promotions, advertising, or in any other form not offered for sale to the general public without payment of an additional fee) subject to the terms outlined below:
(a) Physical art remains the property of the illustrator.
(b) Illustrator may use artwork for self promotion.
Please address all MANUSCRIPT SUBMISSIONS to:
Submissions Editor, LADYBUG
70 East Lake Street
Chicago, IL 60601
Direct inquiries regarding PERMISSIONS to:
Mary Ann Hocking
Rights and Permissions Manager
30 Grove Street
Peterborough, NH 03458
Please address all PORTFOLIO SAMPLES to:
Art Submissions Coordinator
70 East Lake Street
Chicago, IL 60601