Social Studies for grades 3-5
Younger readers' imaginations soar with APPLESEEDS as they explore the history and cultures of people and places both far away and near. In addition to well-researched articles and carefully selected photos, each issue of APPLESEEDS classroom magazine features puzzles, games, recipes, and the opportunity for kids to join the AppleCorps and submit their own stories.
In addition to robust nonfiction articles, here is a sampling of the regular features you'll find in each issue of APPLESEEDS magazine for grades 3-5:
- AppleCorps Connections:
Classes around the country answer a question related to the issue's theme
- AppleSeeds Kids: The cartoon "mascots" of the magazine provide wry commentary on articles and topics
- Fun Stuff: Hands-on activities, games, and projects
- Your Turn: Readers' turn to apply ideas and "do it themselves"
- Reading Corner: Selections and retellings of folktales and literature
- From the AppleCorps: Articles by readers
- Back Cover Features: A revolving set of high-interest features including "Staggering Stats," "Did You Know?" "Read All About It," "Lots of Laughs," a crossword puzzle, and more
"Finally, a magazine that elementary teachers can really use as they attempt to integrate the subjects they teach with one theme." - Marcie Taylor-Thomas, State Specialist in Social Studies, Maryland State Department of Education
Upcoming Themes | Teacher's Guides | Interactive Sample
It's the Greatest (May, 2013)
Product Code APP1305
Great news! Here's an issue all about greatness! We hope you think it's great reading and discover some cool facts and ideas. We also hope you'll meet some people who inspire you to greatness, too, from survivors to inventors, as well as exploring some of the greatest mysteries and places in the world.