American History for grades 5-9
Designed to meet curriculum standards for history/social science while still being a lively and entertaining reading experience for young history buffs, COBBLESTONE is the recognized leader in the study of American history. Each issue of this classroom magazine is thoroughly reviewed by a consulting editor who is an expert in the field and contains well-researched articles, time lines, primary sources, and maps. Original illustrations and fun activities keep COBBLESTONE accessible for pleasure reading.
In addition to robust nonfiction articles, here is a sampling of the regular features you’ll find in each issue of COBBLESTONE magazine for grades 5-9:
- Dr. D's Mystery Hero: Dr. Dennis Denenberg introduces readers to real heroes
- Mapping It!: A map relating to the issue supports comprehension
- Say What? Explores the origin of a word or phrase related to the issue’s theme
- Brain Tickler: Comprehension check
- Digging Deeper: Resources encourage learning more about the subject (fiction, nonfiction, online learning, and places to visit)
- Your Letters: Publishes student writing and art
- Cartoon Connection: Re-states an important idea in cartoon format
"COBBLESTONE® provides young people with the finest and most accessible introduction to American history available anywhere." - Harold Holzer, Historian and Author
Upcoming Themes | Teacher's Guides | Interactive Sample
The New Face of Immigration (May, 2013)
Product Code COB1305
Immigration is a big political issue right now, but the people who are coming to the US and becoming citizens are even more diverse than ever before. Explore the first waves of immigration from colonial times, through the fourth wave of the 1960s that paved the way for making the US even more culturally diverse than ever before. Find out what it's like to be an immigrant today, and the path to becoming a citizen, as well as some famous faces who are also immigrants.