World Cultures for grades 5-9
Your world, your voice, your FACES. FACES takes readers where no other publication goes. Around the world and back, young readers get an honest and unbiased view of how people in other countries and world regions live. From the clothes they wear to the foods they eat, readers get a glimpse into the way their peers live. Each issue takes readers to a different country or region, or explores a topic of global importance. Be a citizen of the world. Be a FACES reader.
In addition to robust nonfiction articles, here is a sampling of the regular features you’ll find in each issue of FACES magazine for grades 5-9:
- High 5: Relates the magazine’s theme to the 5 themes of geography
- Growing Up In: First person accounts of kids' daily lives around the world
- Critter Corner: Introduces readers to an animal related to the culture being studied
- Dear Tommy: A real cultural email exchange between kids
- Folktale: Exposes students to different genre while teaching about a culture
- Art Connection: Makes connections between art and culture
- Say What? Ask FACES! Face Facts: Activities, games, and contests
"FACES® gives young readers engaging and fun stories to read to learn about their world." - Sarah Witham Bednarz, Department of Geography, Texas A & M University
Upcoming Themes | Teacher's Guides | Interactive Sample
GO GREEN (Apr, 2008)
Product Code FAC0804
Whether your family drives a hybrid, recycles, or buys in bulk - there is much everyone can do to protect and take care of our planet. In this issue, we cover the latest in going green - from the Beijing Olympics' green buildings to an eco-troubadour singing to save the earth! Learn about cars that can run on air, houses powered by wind and sun, and all the newest information about this most important topic. Special features include celebrities and what they're doing to be green, plus what are our eco-activists readers up to?