Teacher's Guide for FOOTSTEPS Black ChurchJanuary 2004
Teacher Guide prepared by: Celestine Smith Candida.
Use the articles in this issue as the basis for your research.
- to place in a historical context the role of the black church in African American culture
- to illustrate the role of women in the black church
- to define the role of the black church and the Civil Rights Movement
- Use the article "Church and Community" to answer the following questions:
- How did the black church help African Americans?
- Why were white Southerners uneasy about exposing slaves to Christianity?
- Why was the Bible important to African Americans?
- How did slaves use their worship services?
- "The Early Years" relates the experience of slaves "illegally" gathering together for services without whites before the Civil War. Write a descriptive paragraph describing what it would be like attending one of these "invisible institutions."
- What was the role of the black church before and after the Civil War?
- Identify the following:
Bethel AME Church
Free Produce Movement
Special Field Order 15
African American Baptist Churches
Rev. E.C. Morris
Lott Carey Foreign Missionary Convention
- There were some black men and women who did not practice Christianity, but Islam, the religion that they brought with them from Africa. Compare and contrast the two religions.
- Negro spirituals were songs that blacks created to express their emotions, needs, and hopes for a better future. Have a listening party of black spirituals and gospel music. After listening, discuss their meanings.
- What is the role of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference today?
- Black churches played a crucial role in the Civil Rights Movement during the 1950s and 1960s. Are there any social justice issues today that the black church has become an advocate of?
- Have a debate or write a persuasive essay on the role of black churches and politics.
- Copy all of the photos in this issue and create an illustrated time line of the history of the black church in America.
- Use the information from the articles "Committed to her Beliefs" and "Credentials from Heaven" to create a newspaper on women and their roles in the black
church. Research other denominations - Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc. - to find other prominent black women leaders.